Subject: Gap-filling materials for glass

Gap-filling materials for glass

From: Kelly Marciano <artdr>
Date: Wednesday, January 3, 1996
that are available in the U.S., I would recommend "Hxtal NYL-1".
Hxtal is most famous for its use in the restoration of the Portland
Vase.

Hxtal is a low viscosity, hard, glass-like and colorless
(supposedly) epoxy resin. It comes in two forms, the previously
mentioned original and another version "Hxtal Crystal Plus" for use
on glass and crystal. It is touted as being clear, but will yellow
slightly, especially when heated,used for large fills or fabrication
of medium-large missing sections. We have been using it for several
years to reconstruct high fire ceramics, glass, crystal, and to
fill, fabricate missing sections.

We sometimes tint it with Maimeri Restoring Colours, aniline dye,
and bronzing powders. The Maimeri colours are the best we have found
for matching colour and desired translucency. We cast missing
sections, arms, legs (ex. of Murano figures, stained glass) using
silicon or wax molds. If you want more info on tinting and
finishing, just email. It is available from Conservation Materials.

Kelly Marciano
Art Restorations International Pte Ltd (Singapore)

                  Distributed: Sunday, January 7, 1996