Subject: Gopher and WAIS facets of CoOL to be phased out

Gopher and WAIS facets of CoOL to be phased out

From: Walter Henry <whenry>
Date: Sunday, January 7, 1996
The Gopher and WAIS facets of Conservation OnLine (CoOL) are
being phased out. As soon as all the material from the Gopher and
WAIS facets has been processed and transferred to the web server,
CoOL will support *only* http access:

    http://palimpsest.stanford.edu

The transition is being effected as quickly as I can manage it and
once it has been completed, you will no longer be able to access
CoOL with Gopher or WAIS clients.

I'm not happy about this decision as there are still a lot of people
using gopher, but CoOL operates with no budget, and I can no longer
afford the luxury of maintaining duplicated servers; it is too much
of a drain on my time for too little benefit.

Since anyone who can run a gopher client can run a web client; since
the major commercial services all offer web access now; and since
there are public dial-in Lynx sites for those with only terminal
access to the Net, nobody should be permanently disfranchised by
this move. There is even an email interface to the web; for info
send a 1-line message saying HELP to webmail [at] www__ucc__ie (this server
sends documents up to 64k, text only, no graphics).

                  Distributed: Sunday, January 7, 1996