Subject: Sealing cement

Sealing cement

From: Ellen McCrady <abbeypub>
Date: Tuesday, December 26, 1995
Michael McColgin asked recently about the possible effect of a
slowly curing cement slab in a storage area on the artifacts within;
on December 15, Dale Kronkright described the particles that may be
given off as the concrete cures, but said he had never seen hard
research figures on the process.  I remember some serious Japanese
research on this from 10 or 15 years ago, and I think I saw another
article on it recently.  I never mentioned it in the Abbey
Newsletter because its relevance for libraries and archives was not
clear.  It may be in the ICOM preprints, Studies in Conservation,
Restaurator or IIC preprints.  I looked in JAIC back to 1978 and
didn't find it.  I have AATA back to 1982, but subject searches
always take so long in AATA (ironically).  But I know it exists, and
I hope someone else is encouraged by this to look it up.

Ellen McCrady

                 Distributed: Tuesday, January 2, 1996