Subject: Non-destructive identification of wood

Non-destructive identification of wood

From: Brett Charbeneau <brett>
Date: Saturday, December 16, 1995
We have just received funding for the re-production of a circa 1760
printing press of Dutch origin now in our collection.  One of the
present challenges we are faced with is the identification of the
wood used in the various parts of the machine.

Can anyone point me/us in the direction of a some source material
which explains the various methods of (hopefully) non-destructive
species identification for wood?

Brett Charbeneau, Journeyman Printer
Williamsburg Imprints Program
Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
P.O. Box 1776-GHW
Williamsburg, VA 23187
804-229-1000
Fax: 804-220-7357

                Distributed: Saturday, December 23, 1995