Subject: Gap-filling materials for glass

Gap-filling materials for glass

From: Lynn Grant <lgrant0>
Date: Friday, December 15, 1995
I am currently treating a collection of ancient (Hellenistic, Roman,
and Byzantine) glass for our Museum's upcoming traveling exhibit on
Roman glass. A small number of these vessels will require structural
fills and I am trying to identify a suitable brandname material
(epoxy or polyester resin) available in the US. Most of this glass
is quite thin walled (2 to 5 mm) and some is quite transparent. I
will be doing both cast film fills (per Loretta Hogan's note in
Conservation News, No. 50, p. 29-30) and cast-in-situ fills. Does
anyone have experience with any material that they found to have
good working properties, reasonable aging, and the ability to be
coloured? And what coloring agents have proved successful and
stable?

I'd appreciate any info on others' experiences with these materials.
Thanking you in advance.

Lynn A. Grant
Conservator
University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology
33rd and Spruce Sts.
Philadelphia   PA    19104

                Distributed: Saturday, December 23, 1995