Subject: Removing tide lines from leather

Removing tide lines from leather

From: Sue Maltby <smaltby>
Date: Sunday, December 10, 1995
I was wondering if anyone on the list has had any experience/success
removing tide lines from leather.  The object is question is a
leather bound wooden box (part of a portable tabernacle) which went
through a flood and subsequently developed mould.  The mould was
removed by the curator using isopropanol.  The object is several
hundred years old and the leather is some what stiff and brittle
(particularly where it received most of the flood damage).  I fear I
already know what the responses will be but thought I'd post my
queries anyway (perhaps some of the book people will have some
insight).  Thanking you in advance.

Susan L. Maltby, Conservator

                 Distributed: Monday, December 11, 1995