Subject: Fume hoods

Fume hoods

From: Becky Ryder <rjryde01>
Date: Wednesday, December 6, 1995
The University of Kentucky is building a new central library. A
conservation lab will be included in the new building. Construction
is underway. The Construction Manager and Health/Safety Officer have
questioned our need for a fume hood. They are suggesting that an
exhaust canopy that is open on the sides and front might be adequate
for use with the chemicals for stain reduction and tape removal.
They were not sure that it would be adequate for spray
deacidification. I would expect the lab to be equipped for all three
of those functions.

All conservators that I've consulted suggest that the fume hood is
essential. Do you concur? Have any of you used an exhaust canopy and
found it adequate?

Additionally, the health/safety person would like to see a list of
chemicals used in a University library conservation lab. Can any of
you suggest an up-to-date source for this information, or would you
be willing to share an inventory list from your site?

Let me add that the Construction Manager and the Health/Safety
Officer want to provide the right equipment for our purposes. They
just want to be sure that the considerable expense of a fume hood is
merited. I would think that it is, but your voice of
experience/expertise may help persuade the argument. Thanks for your
help.

    **** Moderator's comments:   As a starting place you might take a
    look at the health and safety page in CoOL
    (http://palimpsest.stanford.edu)

Becky Ryder
Preservation Librarian
University of Kentucky

                Distributed: Wednesday, December 6, 1995