Subject: Ageless and mold

Ageless and mold

From: Sophia Pauk <sophia.pauk>
Date: Tuesday, December 5, 1995
    **** Moderator's comments:
    This query comes from a person who is not on the DistList and
    will not see any responses that are posted here.  Please respond
    directly to sender and if of general interest post it here as well

Usually, we treat the occasional cases of mould in a book in our
library in the following way: we allow the book to dry in a chamber
with a very low humidity (without raising the temperature). After
that, we remove the remaining mould and spores (as many as possible)
with a vacuum cleaner.

We are considering to use Ageless (to create an oxygen free
environment) instead of the described drying. An advantage is, that
is kills the living mould rather rapidly. In some tests with
infected mould media we discovered that Ageless presumably also
binds water, because the media dried up relatively fast. Before
doing some more tests with infected books, we want to ask if anybody
has experience in using Ageless (or comparable means) in this way:
as a treatment, and not just to prevent mould. Is there anybody who
wants to share his or her experience?

Sophia Pauk
Koninklijke Bibliotheek
(National Library of The Netherlands)
P.O.Box 90407
2509 LK The Hague
The Netherlands

                Distributed: Wednesday, December 6, 1995