Subject: Minolta scanner

Minolta scanner

From: Harry Campbell <70304.3023>
Date: Tuesday, December 5, 1995
After a brief trial of the Minolta DPCS3000 we concur with other
favorable comments regarding the use of this device for safely
making single-sided copies from bound books.  It should be pointed
out, however, that this machine is not a good candidate for making
facsimile copies of brittle books, for several reasons.  First of
all, it is not a high resolution scanner (400 dpi). Furthermore, it
is not designed for double-sided copying in registration.  And,
finally, if the exposure is set dark enough to pick up light writing
or printing, other unwanted dark areas, such as shadows, brown
paper, etc., will also show up on the copy.

I hope I haven't stated the obvious, or restated any previous
observations made in the discussions along this line.

Harry Campbell
Conservation Division
Information Conservation, Inc.

                Distributed: Wednesday, December 6, 1995