Subject: Removal of casein adhesives and paints

Removal of casein adhesives and paints

From: Ron Stark <rstark9955>
Date: Wednesday, December 6, 1995
Debra K. Selden <ddunt [at] aol__com> writes

>We would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience in removing
>casein adhesives/paints.  The casein substance which is to be
>removed is immediately adjacent to an oil-base paint, and we're
>concerned about possible incompatibilities between the solvent
>employed and the oil.

The question posed cannot be answered for lack of precise knowledge of
detail.

"Immediately adjacent" may pose little or no danger but "contiguous"
increases the risk tremendously. Which is it? Your mention "solvent"
which may imply some previous attempt. What have all of you tried?
What response did you receive? Which are you trying to remove
adhesives or paints? You assume they are the same and they are not.
To begin with one has pigment and the other does not. How do you
know the substance you want to disturb is casein? What tests have
you conducted? How old is the object? How old is the "casein"? What
substrate is this all upon? I hope you accept these observations in
the best interest of your needs and not as sophistic criticism of
your writing. I look forward to giving you a hand once the details
are known better. Cordially,

Ron Stark, Director
S/R Laboratories Animation
Art Conservation Center

                Distributed: Wednesday, December 6, 1995