Subject: Monitoring exhibit cases

Monitoring exhibit cases

From: Kate Desulis <kdesulis>
Date: Friday, December 1, 1995
Karen M Mokrzycki <kmm [at] cats__ucsc__edu> writes:

>We are interested in finding out if anyone has used either these
>products in library exhibit cases:
>
>   Arten Display Case Thermo/Hygrometer
>   Min/Max Hygrometer
>
>We are trying to determine the effectiveness and feasibility of
>using these products--or others--in display cases for exhibits
>which are up for approximately 3 months. Any feedback would be welcome.

We have tried both of the T/RH monitors listed in our exhibit cases.
The Arten model is relatively inexpensive and seems to be quite
accurate.  It is small enough to be unobtrusive in a case.  The
Min/Max Hygrometer is larger and does allow you to check the Min/Max
of both temperature & relative humidity.  One note: you do need to
open the exhibit case and pull out the hygrometer to access the
min/max function (Not convenient if you're using sealed exhibit
cases with any type of climate control and don't wish to open them
very often).

Both types would work well for a 3 month display (and shouldn't need
to be re-calibrated during that time).  We've also used the paper
T/RH indicating cards which are small and quite inexpensive
(especially compared to the others).  They are accurate enough and
should last through a 3 month display.

Hope this information helps,

Kate Desulis
Adler Planetarium & Astronomy Museum