Subject: Glass plate negatives

Glass plate negatives

From: Monique Jose <m.jose>
Date: Thursday, November 30, 1995
The University Archives has recently acquired a collection of
approximately 50 glass plate negatives dating 1910-12.  I have a
couple of questions regarding these:

    1.  does anyone have a "tried and true" way of identifying
        whether they are wet or dry plates?

    2.  how do I go about reproducing them for reference/backup
        purposes (I'm not a photographics expert so please keep it
        simple)?

    3.  what sort of cleaning should be done to the plates prior to
        reproducing (e.g. distilled water on non-emulsion side
        only?)? Hope you can help.

Monique L. Jose
University Archivist
Edith Cowan University