Subject: White film on vinyl record

White film on vinyl record

From: Edward Then <e.then>
Date: Friday, November 24, 1995
Miriam Meislik <70243.1707 [at] compuserve__com> writes

>Recently, we became involved in a project involving old vinyl
>records.  The records are from the late 1940s to early 1950s.  Two
>of the records in the collection have a thin, white, pasty film
>covering the entire record (all but the edges).

Before carrying out any conservation treatment it is extremely
important (a must!) to correctly identify the type of plastic the
artefact is made of.  A wrong guess can be disastrous. Solvents or
chemical that are suitable for one type of plastic may be extremely
harmful to another.  As usual my advice is to first get the plastic
correctly identified.

Dr Edward Then
Senior Conservator (New Materials)
Science Museum