Subject: Publication on cleaning antiques

Publication on cleaning antiques

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447>
Date: Tuesday, November 28, 1995
A new publication to hit the shelves this December is the update
with substantial revisions by Noel Riley of Tom Rowland's original
1981 publication 'A-Z Guide to Cleaning, Conserving & repairing
Antiques'.

Tom Rowland, now deceased, was apparently an authority on English
lustreware pottery and an antique furniture restorer for the
National Trust, whilst Noel Riley was Assistant Editor of the
magazine Antique Dealer and Collectors Guide and is now a freelance
writer and lecturer on antiques.

The new hardback publication has over 180 pages and includes several
line drawings with chapters including:

    Items to be cleaned and repaired
    Materials, equipment and techniques
    Directory of Suppliers & organisations

and one of the smallest bibliographies I have seen for a while.

Even though it does only touch very briefly on the subjects it
covers I still found this book interesting providing as it does a
useful introduction to the materials and their care.

Certainly not in the same league as Horie's 'Materials for
Conservation' but then the 'A-Z' is geared more to the
semi-professional/custodian market.

Further details can be obtained by calling Conservation
Resources LC on (800)-634-6932 or faxing our offices in Europe
on +44-1865-747035.

Mark Vine
Conservation Resources
England