Subject: Consolidation of terracotta tiles

Consolidation of terracotta tiles

From: Thanasis Velios <natuk>
Date: Friday, November 24, 1995
Tanja Roskar <tanja.roskar [at] vm__unit__no> writes

>The tiles in question have gone through a desalination process and
>we now want to consolidate them. ...
>
>The tiles are still immersed in water and we are interested to find
>a consolidant that can be absorbed into the clay body while the
>tiles are still wet, then air dried.  Perhaps a vacuum impregnation.

I am not sure I understood exactly what way of treatment you are
looking for. As far as I know it is very difficult to stick together
and consolidate two pieces of ceramic in one. Since you keep the
pieces wet from the desalination, I suggest this method:

    Prepare a mixture of water together with acetone in relation
    water 10, acetone 2. Put the tiles in this mixture. Then prepare
    a mixture of water with acetone in relation water 5, acetone 5.
    Finally put the tiles in pure acetone.

A very good material for consolidation is Paraloid B72. You can
create a solution 5% of Paraloid B72 in acetone. Move the tiles into
the new solution. Then create a solution 10% or 15% of Paraloid B72
in acetone. Move the tiles again to the new solution. The pieces
should be consolidated by this time. If the problem is really big
then you can try a solution 30% or 35% of Paraloid B72. Let the
pieces get dry.

For sticking together the pieces you can use Paraloid B72 but not
with acetone. Try 70% or 80% of Paraloid B72 in toluol. This is
prepared by many companies. The products are easy to use. Toluol is
a very dangerous material and must be very careful while using it.
Always were a gas mask and work near a gas abductor.

Thanasis Velios,
Pireus, Greece,
Conservation studies

                 Distributed: Friday, December 1, 1995