Subject: Emergency salvage of plaster monument

Emergency salvage of plaster monument

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447>
Date: Thursday, November 30, 1995
I am placing this question on behalf of a restorer not privy to the
line.

The problem pertains to a monument that has been uncovered during
demolition of a church, the builders have allowed short term (6
days) access to the site to remove the piece.

The piece measuring around four foot square includes thin (1/8th
inch) coloured limeplaster rendering on stone which is flaking and
crumbling off badly.

The restorer needs to apply an easily removable facing of supportive
material to the rendering on the monument so that the piece can be
quickly dismantled and removed to another site for restoration
before contractors return to complete demolition.

Our question,is what adhesive might be easily applied in situ which
will dry quickly and yet be easily removed without harming the
coloured, and flaking, limeplaster rendering?

Is this another job for Beva. The restorer tells me he has no
experience with Beva and wonders how suitable it might be. Might
another product be better in the circumstances.

The remedy has to be applied before the 6th December if this piece
is to be saved. I am quite happy to receive answers by fax to be
passed to the restorer.

Mark G. Vine
Conservation Resources
England