Subject: Binding thick books

Binding thick books

From: Elaine Hodges <mnhen039>
Date: Monday, November 6, 1995
I would appreciate advice on the best kind of binding for a thick
book (around 600 pages) that is to be used as a reference text for
art work, may be left open for long periods while an artist follows
step-by-step instructions. The original text, The Guild Handbook of
Scientific Illustration, was 560+ pages and apparently had a
glued-on backing. It promptly fell apart for most owners. I would
like the revision to last longer. It will have a color insert of
about 8 pages in the center and will be hardcover, as is the
original edition. Any suggestions? Obviously, I would like to keep
costs down, but the book will cost over $100.00 eventually.

Elaine R.S. Hodges
Scientific Illustrator
MRC 169, National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Institution
Washington, D.C. 20560
202-357-2128
Fax: 202-786-2894

                Distributed: Saturday, November 11, 1995