Subject: Storage of negatives

Storage of negatives

From: Tony Clarke <tonyc>
Date: Monday, November 6, 1995
The museum of New Zealand has just purchased a climate controlled
storage unit for negatives (no glass negatives).   We will be
storing the negs at 2 deg C , 35% RH and realize negatives must be
cooled and later removed slowly to avoid problems like condensation,
etc. Ambient conditions are normally around 18 deg C, 55 to 60% RH
in a passively controlled environment (we do not have mechanical
climate control in the present photographic work area).

Can anybody provide specific details on the ideal rate of change for
temperature and RH  when cooling, and later when negs may need to be
removed from the cool store?

Tony Clarke

                 Distributed: Monday, November 6, 1995