Subject: Minolta scanner

Minolta scanner

From: Linda M. Seguin <lseguin>
Date: Monday, November 6, 1995
>From: Robert Smith <robert.smith [at] librius__otago__ac__nz>
>Subject: Photocopiers
>
>The University of Otagop Library is considering buying the new
>Minolta DPCS 3000 digital publication copying system.

    **** Moderator's comments:   This item was erroneously posted
    under the subject "Photocopiers". I've changed the topic to
    "Minolta scanner" in the DistList archives

unit has recently acquired a Minolta PS3000 scanner to be used with
fax software.  While not the same model he asked about, it's the
same concept;  the book lies face up, reducing stress on the binding
and the scanner corrects for the curve of the page.  It really does
work.  If the scanner is hooked up to a pc with EPICwin software,
the image can be manipulated (and checked for quality) before it is
printed or saved to a disk.

Problems we have noted include trouble with scanning very light
images, like pencil (this may be our software; we're a beta test
site) and that the machine cannot scan an image larger than 11" x
17".

Another plus, according to our salesman, is that the scanner uses a
halogen bulb.  He says that they are friendlier to the paper than
other types of bulbs.  I expect people on this list know better than
I do if this is the case.

Linda Seguin
Document Delivery
Science Library