Subject: Restoration of mosaics in situ

Restoration of mosaics in situ

From: Maria Mavrommati <maria>
Date: Sunday, November 5, 1995
At the center of Thessaloniki Greece, found the palace complex of
Galerious Maximus that was build about 300 AD. At this excavation
some floor mosaics uncovered.

We detached the mosaics and we continued the excavation procedures
under the sites where the mosaics found. The depth of the digging at
those sites comes to 3 meters. The dimensions of those diggings are
the following:

    a. 5 x 7 m
    b. 8 x 4 m

The reinstallation of mosaics is our next step. The problem we face
is to fill those 3 meters with the proper and best stuff available.

It would be a great help for us if anyone of you could suggest us a
material used at other instances, or some books/resources where we
could find some help. Thanks in advance,

Maria Mavrommati
Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki

                 Distributed: Monday, November 6, 1995