Subject: MicroChamber

MicroChamber

From: Bill Hollinger <billh96007>
Date: Friday, November 3, 1995
George Randall Leake III <taliesin [at] mail__utexas__edu> writes

>A scientist affiliated with our department said why not continue
>purchasing the same type of board as before and safely slip a disc
>of activated charcoal which could be replaced later? Or pursue
>filtration at a larger level, such as in conjunction with the HVAC
>system. Another minor quibble some have is that microchamber is a
>corrugated board (which sometimes provides a good hiding place for
>insects to lay their eggs).

I appreciate the kind comments from George Leake and Craig Jensen,
however I would like to clear up a couple of misconceptions.
MicroChamber paper is not a paper containing "activated charcoal".
MicroChamber paper contains a combination of alkaline buffers and
molecular sieves, or a combination of alkaline buffers, molecular
sieves and activated carbon. Both the molecular sieves and the
activated carbon we use were developed specifically for MicroChamber
products.

While MicroChamber products are available in corrugated boards, they
are also available in .007" thick envelope/wrapping paper, .012"
file and map/print folder paper, .043" and .065" thick solid fiber
boxboards. We hope to have a very thin, translucent MicroChamber
interleaving paper available soon. Also, MicroChamber technology
museum mat and mount boards, rag and alpha cellulose, are available
under the name "Artcare" from Nielsen & Bainbridge, (201) 368 9191.
Finally, MicroChamber products surround the artifact and deal both
with by-products of deterioration produced as a collection ages and
with external pollutants, whether from indoor or outdoor sources.
HVAC systems will not do this, and are not effective with such
common pollutants as NOx.

Bill Hollinger
Conservation Resources
8000-H Forbes Place