Subject: Bibliographic control during disaster recovery

Bibliographic control during disaster recovery

From: Donia Conn <donia>
Date: Thursday, October 26, 1995
I am a student in the Preservation and Conservation Studies Program
at the University of Texas at Austin.  For a final project for my
Organization and Planning course, I am interested in the possibility
of putting together a spec kit for maintaining bibliographic control
during disaster recovery.  In reading various articles, looking at
institutional disaster plans and speaking with some people in the
field, I have begun to find that there are no written policies out
there.  I have found one reference that directed recoverers to put
the call numbers of the first and last book to go into a box on that
box and to simply go down the shelves.  Is this standard?  What if
the shelf order is disrupted (as in a stack collapse)?  What happens
if your priority items are scattered throughout the shelves and
those need to be boxed first and shipped immediately?  Is this just
a very simple concept that I am making harder than it need be or is
this something not generally considered important when writing a
disaster plan?

If anyone has any experience in this area, or has a section devoted
to it in their disaster plan, please let me know.  I am very
interested in this topic but am having a difficult time finding any
information to begin building a spec kit. Thanks,

Donia Conn

                Distributed: Thursday, November 2, 1995