Subject: Centipedes

Centipedes

From: Steve Reitci <sanborn>
Date: Friday, October 27, 1995
Rob Robinson <rrobinson [at] npr__org> writes

>We have noticed a couple of centipedes recently in the room where we
>archive our audiotapes. The pest control company that our building
>management has brought in is recommending that Ficam W be sprayed
>along all edges of the room....

I have found a fairly safe and effective way of getting rid of them.
Find some small containers (I use disposable aluminum potato baking
dishes) and fill them with Borax. Then sprinkle some sugar on top.
The centipedes are attracted by the sugar, and the Borax sticks to
their bodies. The centipedes return to their nests, taking some
Borax with them, which eventually kills them and any other
centipedes using that nest. The containers should be changed every
once in a while, maybe every two weeks or so. Considering the cost
of Borax and the amounts used, one box should easily be enough to
stop the infestation.

Of course, care should be taken that cats, dogs, or patrons do not
eat the Borax.

Steve Reitci

                Distributed: Thursday, November 2, 1995