Subject: MicroChamber products

MicroChamber products

From: Bill Hollinger <billh96007>
Date: Wednesday, November 1, 1995
Cathy Sieracki <sierackc [at] tffwc__mhs__compuserve__com> writes

>Does any one know anything about the MicroChamber products by
>Conservation Resources? I just received their catalog.  They claim
>that it absorbs off-gassing, dust and pollutants keeping them from
>artifacts.  Does the stuff really work? What happens when the box or
>paper is saturated?  In your opinion is it really worth the extra
>money, which is almost double the price of their regular materials.

MicroChamber materials are in use in major institutions around the
world. When Conservation Resources first introduced MicroChamber
products, there was an approximately 40% differential in cost
between them and our Lig-Free products. Since that time we have
greatly increased the effectiveness of the MicroChamber products
while reducing the cost of these materials. Currently there is
approximately a 10% difference in the cost of a letter size document
case in MicroChamber versus our lignin free (Lig-free) board, and a
5 to 6% increase in the cost of photographic storage boxes made from
the lignin free versus the MicroChamber board.

In addition to the test results shown in our catalog, we have
photographs showing buffered paper and MicroChamber paper in lab
jars full of pollutants. The MicroChamber paper has removed the
pollutants in the jar, while the jar containing the buffered paper
remains full of dense yellow pollutant smog. The pH of the buffered
paper had dropped to pH 2.4, while the MicroChamber paper, despite
removing the smog in the jar, had remained in the neutral range. We
have many test examples other than those displayed in the center of
our current catalog, however they are of copyrighted material, so we
cannot publish them. An article on MicroChamber paper has been
published in Restaurator, 1993, 14, 123 -130, and also in the IIC
journal (MicroChamber Papers used as a Preventative Conservation
Material).

Nielsen & Bainbridge produce mat and mounting boards under the name
Artcare which use the MicroChamber technology. They have produced a
variety of literature and a video describing this material which may
be of interest to anyone curious to know more about this product.
Their phone is (800) 342 0124 or (201) 368 9191. We also have a
MicroChamber Emulsion which can be applied like a paint. Please feel
free to call if you have any questions about this product.

Bill Hollinger
Conservation Resources
800-634-6932
Fax: 703-321-0629