Subject: MicroChamber products

MicroChamber products

From: George Randall Leake III <taliesin>
Date: Thursday, October 26, 1995
Cathy Sieracki <sierackc [at] tffwc__mhs__compuserve__com> writes

>Does any one know anything about the MicroChamber products by
>Conservation Resources? I just received their catalog.  They claim
>that it absorbs off-gassing, dust and pollutants keeping them from
>artifacts.  Does the stuff really work? What happens when the box or
>paper is saturated?  In your opinion is it really worth the extra
>money, which is almost double the price of their regular materials.

Their claims concerning the product seem to pan out. It looks like
an excellent product. We investigated this product when it was being
marketed for the first time a few years back. I also share your
concerns about saturation. And the cost is quite troubling. A
scientist affiliated with our department said why not continue
purchasing the same type of board as before and safely slip a disc
of activated charcoal which could be replaced later? Or pursue
filtration at a larger level, such as in conjunction with the HVAC
system. Another minor quibble some have is that microchamber is a
corrugated board (which sometimes provides a good hiding place for
insects to lay their eggs).

George Leake
Conservation Department
Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center