Subject: Chloramine-B

Chloramine-B

From: Mary Todd Glaser <nedcc>
Date: Friday, October 27, 1995
Chloramine-B is widely used for bleaching paper in Russia and some
eastern European countries.  Its name implies that it is similar to
Chloramine-T.  The latter was once used commonly in the U.S. and
Europe but fell into disfavor when scientists discovered it can be
retained by paper even after thorough rinsing.  Does anyone know of
any research involving Chloramine-B?  Russian scientists and
conservators I have spoken to here and in St. Petersburg say that
they believe it is safe for bleaching.  I would like to hear from
anyone who knows anything about this material.

Mary Todd Glaser
Director of Paper Conservation
Northeast Document Conservation Center
100 Brickstone Square