Subject: Barcoding

Barcoding

From: John Boral <b2bdirect>
Date: Monday, October 23, 1995
Marsha Maguire <marsham [at] vnw__com> writes

>I work in a new museum that
>is building a multi-format collection.  We were hoping to be able to
>identify the artifacts, sound recordings, prints, photos,
>instruments, etc., with barcodes (which we were planning to affix to
>the items' enclosures--paper or polyester sleeves, acid-free boxes,
>etc.).  We thought we'd use Gaylord's photocomposed barcode labels,
>having our codes preprinted. These are foil-backed, but we're not
>sure if the paper is acid-neutral or not.

I picked up your Consdist message concerning Gaylord labels. I
represent the Gaylord company from a conservation perspective and
have looked into the technical aspects of their photo-composed
labels. The ones they offer in their catalog are not foil-backed nor
are they manufactured from an archival quality adhesive or paper
stock.

The standard product line of foil-back labels and plain labels (not
the laser sheet labels) are acid-free with an archival quality
acrylic adhesive. The foil-back ones have been tested by the Image
Permanence Institute (RIT) and really do stick to paper & board and
adhere as well as possible to plastic surfaces. The nature of
plastic surfaces does not allow any label to permanently bond.

I would not recommend the pre-printed photocomposed labels for your
application. You would be better off purchasing the standard
foil-back labels and printing your own barcodes. If I can provide
further information, please feel free to call me at #413-562-2587.

John Boral
B2B Direct Inc.

                Distributed: Thursday, October 26, 1995