Subject: Commercial binding turnaround time

Commercial binding turnaround time

From: Meg Robinson Arnold <ALI00MER>
Date: Monday, October 23, 1995
Lisa M. Stienbarger <lstienba [at] vma__cc__nd__edu> writes

>I am on a committee here at Notre Dame Libraries to look into
>turnaround time standards for serials in our bindery process. I'd
>like to know if other institutions have a turnaround time standard
>and what that time is. If you do not have a standard, can you tell
>me approximately how long your serials are unavailable to patrons?

Well, I'm not sure what you mean by standards (for the commercial
binder, or for the bindery prep folks?) but now that we're using
Heckman Bindery again, we have a three week turnaround time with
them--we generally begin pulling items off the shelves about a week
and a half before the day of the shipment. Those items are not
unavailable to the patron however--they are either on trucks in the
acquisitions area (adjacent to the public periodicals area) if they
have not been processed, or on alphabetical shelves in the same area
if they have been. They are packed the afternoon before the morning
the shipment goes out. When they return from the commercial binder,
they're unpacked that afternoon (or the next morning) and are again
placed on alphabetical shelves or trucks in the same area they were
prepared in, so they are essentially only unavailable for 3 weeks
and 2 days (the day before and maybe the day after the shipment).
Hope this is the kind of info you were looking for.

Margaret Robinson Arnold
Bindery Supervisor
Atkins Library
UNC Charlotte