Subject: Do-it-yourself conservation

Do-it-yourself conservation

From: Ellen Meline <emeline>
Date: Wednesday, October 25, 1995
Ivy Strickler <strickif [at] dunx1__ocs__drexel__edu> writes

>Recently on this list and others there have been some widely disparate
>views expressed on the topic of "how much repair/conservation should be
>attempted without the services of a conservator." As I look through my
>library I find everything from "don't do anything" to "use epoxy and
>regular silver polish." Do any of you have a recommendation of a book which
>you feel gives a safe path for the knowledgeable amateur?

_Caring for Your Collections: Preserving and Protecting Your Art and
Other Collectibles_ is available through the National Institute for
the Conservation of Cultural Property. "Caring" is a practical guide
that provides clear, concise advice on how to care for collections.
Esteemed conservation professionals share their expertise about
caring for art and objects, concentrating on preventive maintenance,
how to watch for damage and when and how to obtain the help of a
professional conservator when damage does occur. The book's 19
chapters cover a wide range of collection types, including
decorative arts, works of art on paper, ethnographic collections,
books and documents, metals, paintings and photographs. For more
information contact Ellen Meline at NIC.

Ellen Meline
National Institute for the Conservation of Cultural Property
3299 K St, NW
Suite 602
Washington, DC 20007-4415

                Distributed: Thursday, October 26, 1995