Subject: Porcelain repair

Porcelain repair

From: Stephen Koob <koobs>
Date: Monday, October 23, 1995
epoxy-based systems for porcelain repair, I use Acryloid (Paraloid)
B-72 for most of our porcelain repair.  We have numerous pieces in
both the Freer and Sackler collections which have old, discoloured
adhesives and fill materials, and we redo them as needed for
exhibition.

I prefer making up the B-72 myself, simply in acetone with a very
small amount of fumed silica, approximately 60-65% w/v.  I do not
like the B-72 which is supplied by HMG- whatever solvent mixture
they are using does not "work well".   We also use B-72 mixed with
fumed silica and pigments to fill cracks and small losses.

Since the museums are climate controlled, I hope these pieces do not
need to be redone for several hundred years.

Stephen Koob
Department of Conservation and Scientific Research
Freer Gallery of Art
Smithsonian Institution
Washington DC 20560
202-357-4880 x276