Subject: Damage to electronic media by magnetic fields

Damage to electronic media by magnetic fields

From: Sonya Koros <smkst13>
Date: Thursday, October 19, 1995
As a master's student at the University of Pittsburgh I have been
interning at a local music library where one of my duties has been
to photocopy the cases of incoming CDs for record-keeping purposes.
I have been wondering whether copying the cases with the CDs still
inside could possibly damage the CDs.  My thinking is based on the
possibility that the magnetic field generated by the copier may
someone cause the electronic data on the CD to "shift".  Does anyone
know if CDs could possibly be damaged by this practice?   Please
respond to me directly. Thanks very much,

Sonya Koros
Dept. of Library Science
SLIS
University of Pittsburgh