Subject: Photographs and mothballs

Photographs and mothballs

From: Laura Smith <lhksmith>
Date: Wednesday, October 18, 1995
A patron recently asked if it is wise to store photographs in
enclosures with mothballs.  My first reaction was to say "no, of
course not!" but I could think of no reason other than the fact that
it seemed like a strange thing to do to discourage her from doing
this.  I know mothballs have come up on the list in the recent past,
but I was hoping someone could give me a good, scientific,
no-nonsense reason why mothballs and photographs (and other paper
and archival materials) should not mix.  Or should it? Thanks for
your responses.

Laura Katz Smith
Manuscripts Curator
Special Collections Department