Subject: Insects in amber

Insects in amber

From: Annie Armour <aarmour>
Date: Wednesday, October 18, 1995
I have a collection of insects in amber and I need to know how to
store it properly.  The collection has been here for years, in a box
lined with cotton. The collection is used two or three times yearly
for classes, and has been placed on display a number of times.
Though no one touches the pieces, some are showing some flaking,
presumably from exposure to oxygen.

I would like to be able to house these in such a way that they are
still easily accessible for classroom study.  What does anyone know
about this--environments, vendors, handling practices, etc.?
Thanks in advance,

Annie Armour-Jones
Archives, Rare Books, and Preservation
duPont Library
The University of the South Sewanee, Tennessee

                 Distributed: Sunday, October 22, 1995