Subject: Non-drying clays used by Thomas Hart Benton

Non-drying clays used by Thomas Hart Benton

From: Shelley Reisman Paine <srpaine>
Date: Wednesday, October 18, 1995
I am searching for information related to non-drying clays similar
to Plasticene. Thomas Hart Benton used these materials to sculpt
models for his paintings. I am in the process of  developing a
treatment for the model used by Benton for "The Sources of Country
Music". The clay figures were supported by sticks and/or pipe
cleaners.  The pipe cleaners have deteriorated (analysis in
progress) and no longer support the clay.  The clay separated from
the supports and major deformation and loss occurred.

Has anyone ever treated one of his models, or any material like
plasticene? Does anyone know where other models are located?  I have
some ideas and would appreciate your comments and information.

Shelley Reisman Paine

                 Distributed: Sunday, October 22, 1995