Subject: UV filters

UV filters

From: Ramona Duncan-Huse <duncanhuse>
Date: Wednesday, October 11, 1995
Peter Graham requested info re: UV filters from Conservation
Resources.  I ordered UV filters from them in 1987 and installed
them on our fluorescent bulbs in storage areas.  Our UV readings
remain low with these same filters, so they do last a while.  We
also reduced the quantity of sleeves we needed by removing two bulbs
from each light ballast; which had the provision for four.  This
helped bring the light level in footcandle down to an acceptable
level.  Also, if you monitored the level of UV and footcandle
beneath a light bank with and without the plastic diffusers, you'd
find very little difference... so you really do need to filter the
bulbs if you are worried about UV and footcandle levels.

Ramona Duncan-Huse
Head of Conservation
Indiana Historical Society

                 Distributed: Monday, October 16, 1995