Subject: Perfect Brushing Lacquer

Perfect Brushing Lacquer

From: David Goldstein <xubzulima>
Date: Thursday, October 12, 1995
During a recent set of treatments at the Brooklyn Museum on European
Toleware from the early 19th century it became apparent that the
collection had been in the 1960's.  An early treatment report stated
that all of the objects were coated with something called "Perfect
Brushing Lacquer."  We would be grateful if anyone could recall the
composition of this particular lacquer formula.  We are finding it
difficult to remove in most solvents, and are afraid to use extreme
measures as it is covering the original oil paint decoration. A
cross section is in the works, but we would appreciate if anyone has
any information on this particular material. Thanks,

David Goldstein
Asst. Conservator
The Brooklyn Museum
200 Eastern Parkway