Subject: Mold

Mold

From: Cor Knops <corknops>
Date: Wednesday, October 11, 1995
Danna Bell-Russel <dbrussel [at] capaccess__org> wrote:

>I have recently begun working on an archival collection that smells of
>mold and does have some inactive mold spores and discoloration on some of
>the papers. We do not have a HEPA vacuum nor a place to perform
>treatments that involve good air circulation....
> what suggestions do you
>have for treatments that can be done in an area where there is poor
>ventilation?

My suggestion is (although I'm not quite sure the same facility
exist within the US) to get the molded part of your collection to
the nearest Gamma-radiation-plant. In Holland I sometimes advise
some clients to take there suspicious material to Gammaster in Ede
(Holland). Of course I don't advise this for valuable books etc.
there because of the risk of some degradation in molecular chains.
The dosis of radiation applied to books and paper is 10 kGy during
one hour. It seem to be relatively safe... The price is (compared to
some other methods) acceptable (approximately 20 $/m3, exclusive of
shipping costs).

If you wish further information (like address etc.) please contact
me.

Cor Knops
Knops Boekrestauratie
Groenstraat 8
6151 CS Munstergeleen
Netherlands
+31 46 529643
+31 46 511822
Fax: +31 46 529643

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 11, 1995