Subject: Mold

Mold

From: Danna Bell-Russel <dbrussel>
Date: Friday, October 6, 1995
I have recently begun working on an archival collection that smells of
mold and does have some inactive mold spores and discoloration on some of
the papers. We do not have a HEPA vacuum nor a place to perform
treatments that involve good air circulation. I don't want to put this
material with the rest of the collection but I don't want to toss it
because there is some important material. First, what suggestions do you
have for treatments that can be done in an area where there is poor
ventilation? I have considered photocopying the material but am concerned
about the photocopier. Should I clean off the platen after I have
finished copying the documents? I do have the NEDCC, SOLINET and
Conservation Center documents but none of them offer suggestions I can
use and I am pretty sure that the library does not have the money to hire
a conservator. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Danna Bell-Russel,
District of Columbia Public Library
Washingtoniana Division

                 Distributed: Tuesday, October 10, 1995