Subject: UV filters

UV filters

From: Peter Graham <psgraham>
Date: Monday, October 9, 1995
UV filter sleeves:  A catalog from Conservation Resources provides
pricing of $5.50 per sleeve for 4' light tubes, of which we have
about 90 over our workstation and terminal areas, uncovered.  (We
have a relatively modern, 5-year-old building with Steelcase
dividers and cubicles and workstations.) These lights are directly
in the cubicles under the shelf and over the desk.

Overhead we have several hundred more 4' fixtures, but all are
behind a plastic sheet which slightly diffuses the light.

Questions:

    1.  Any experience or views on the CR UV filter sleeves?

    2.  CR claims they "do not lose effectiveness over time."  To
        what extent is this true?  I don't mind 10 years, but would
        mind 2 years very much.

    3.  Are the overheads effectively filtered because of the thin
        plastic diffuser or need I get UV filters for them as well
        (another couple of grand)?

Thanks for comments and assistance.  --pg

Peter Graham
Rutgers University Libraries
169 College Ave.,
New Brunswick, NJ 08903