Subject: Scagliola plaster

Scagliola plaster

From: Jack C. Thompson <jct>
Date: Monday, October 9, 1995
The glue water for scagliola is not weak; it should be fresh (made
daily) and should be strong.  It may be diluted, but should not be
weak.  There is a difference.

Keene's cement (double calcined plaster of paris) has been
recommended since the late 19th century.

Walter's AATA note for scagliola is not complete, nor is the note
accurate.

Webster's Third New International dictionary is as accurate as the
AATA note, which is to say, not terribly accurate.

The basic ingredients are pigment, glue water, plaster, and alum.

In 1985, I produced a short videotape about the manufacture of
scagliola with John Barrett.  John has made a number of pieces and
between us, we have gone through most of the available literature.

One may contact John, in Portland, Oregon, at 503/288-4426.

The videotape is available from:

    Istor Productions
    7549 N. Fenwick
    Portland, OR  97217