Subject: Scagliola plaster

Scagliola plaster

From: Henry Grunder <hgrunder>
Date: Thursday, October 5, 1995
Alex Warren <sinopia [at] sfnet__com> writes

>I'm trying to formulate some type of recipe for Scagliola Plaster.
>In fact it seems Scagliola was used in faux marble finishes. Anyway,

My copy of Webster's Third New International says that "scagliola"
is "an imitation of ornamental marble consisting of a base of finely
ground gypsum mixed with glue, variegated on its surface while soft
(as with marble, spar, or granite dust) . . . ."

    **** Moderator's comments:   In case it's of use, here's the
    AAT's scope not for Scagliola:

    Plaster of Paris or cement mixed with pigments, marble dust, and
    other inert fragments and sometimes glue.  PUTNAM

I would look in the Yellow Pages under "Terrazzo," to find brains to
pick among the old guys there. Scagliola is a kissing cousin, I
believe. A quibble, though--Scagliola would not exactly be a faux
finish, a term usually reserved for a totally surface treatment,
such as paint. Scagliola, along with terrazzo and the so-called
"hard stone" technique, are actually solid materials. That is why
they may be ground smooth.

Henry Grunder

                 Distributed: Thursday, October 5, 1995