Subject: Ethics and materials

Ethics and materials

From: Simon Hogg <s.hogg>
Date: Thursday, October 5, 1995
If one knows, as a conservator, that a certain material is likely to
degrade in a certain time period, is it ethical (or indeed is it an
appropriate question,) to advise an artist not to use certain
materials.  It must be said that many artists understand the
handling of their preferred materials, but do not necessarily know
the risks of degradation.

Should the subject of materials selection with regard to longevity
be taught in Art Schools (or is it at the moment?)  Or is this seen
as an impingement of 'artistic expression?'

I would be most grateful if someone could provide me with a
reference, or their own views on this subject.

Simon Hogg

                 Distributed: Thursday, October 5, 1995