Subject: Cleaning books

Cleaning books

From: Soren Ibsen <soren.ibsen>
Date: Wednesday, October 4, 1995
Jonathan Ashley Smith's contribution about  dust and handling
(Conservation DistList) provoked me to write this: is it necessary
to remove dirt and dust from books? The librarian hates dusty and
dirty books.  Take a dusty book with your sweaty hands and make a
dirty spot.  Of course it is a part of the books history and should
not be removed. I use the following process:

    Vacuum cleaning
    Dry cleaning with a eraser sponge (Wishab hard quality).
    Wet cleaning on leather with Maroquin Leatherbalm.  (I avoid
    leather dressing.)

Soren Ibsen
University Library of Trondheim
N-7004  Trondheim