Subject: Barcoding

Barcoding

From: Marsha Maguire <marsham>
Date: Friday, September 29, 1995
Apologies if you all have covered this topic too many times.  A
search of the DistList archives retrieved lots of questions on this
subject but few answers, so here goes:  I work in a new museum that
is building a multi-format collection.  We were hoping to be able to
identify the artifacts, sound recordings, prints, photos,
instruments, etc., with barcodes (which we were planning to affix to
the items' enclosures--paper or polyester sleeves, acid-free boxes,
etc.).  We thought we'd use Gaylord's photocomposed barcode labels,
having our codes preprinted. These are foil-backed, but we're not
sure if the paper is acid-neutral or not.

Does anyone have any reactions to this plan?  Or have any experience
with the Gaylord photocomposed barcode labels?  Are they safe for
our collections, and will they really stick to paper, board, and
polyethylene and polyester containers?

Marsha Maguire
Experience Music Project
110 - 110th Avenue, NE