Subject: Mothballs

Mothballs

From: Jerry Shiner <70252.763>
Date: Saturday, September 30, 1995
Janet Kay Zastrow <zastrow [at] hawaii__edu> writes

>Does anyone use mothballs as an insect deterrent in an
>archives/special collection setting? A colleague suggested them for
>"fumigating" new arrivals not yet accessioned into the collection,
>and as an all-purpose bug deterrent in *all* unprocessed boxes.

I've had naphtha recommended to keep away squirrels in the garden and
raccoons from the attic, but I think the odour will annoy any animal
(including H. Sapiens.)

Keepsafe Systems supplies kits for creating oxygen-free
environments. These may be used for storing and "fumigating"
materials which are received into your collection. Prolonged storage
(from a few days for small critters to a few weeks for the really
big bugs) will kill any insect life coming in with the new
materials. The items may be left in the anoxic bags indefinitely.

This type of solution has been used successfully in a variety of
applications.  The kit consists of a reusable barrier film bag, a
reusable sealing clip, and a supply of "Ageless" oxygen scavenger.
Bags may be made to custom sizes.

Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Systems

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 4, 1995