Subject: Do-it-yourself conservation

Do-it-yourself conservation

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447>
Date: Saturday, September 30, 1995
Ivy Strickler <strickif [at] dunx1__ocs__drexel__edu> writes

>Recently on this list and others there have been some widely
>disparate views expressed on the topic of "how much
>repair/conservation should be attempted without the services of a
>conservator." ... Do any of you have a recommendation of a book
>which you feel gives a safe path for the knowledgeable amateur?

One of the better publications to make the
Conservators bookshelf is

    The Curatorial Care of Works of Art on Paper
    by Ann F.Clapp
    1987. ISBN 0-941130-31-2

Just about everything is here conservation techniques, basic
procedures,an examination of the effects of light, acid, humidity
and temperature on works on paper. This title may be void of
photographs (it does include several line drawings) but despite its
age it remains in my view one of the best and most easily readable
handbooks around providing hands on advise to the custodian,
collector and semi-professional.

Another great title though possibly more suited to the
professionals bookshelf is the 2nd edition of

    Preservation of Library and Archival Materials : A Manual
    from the Northeast Document Conservation Center and edited
    by Sherelyn Ogden, NEDCC's Director of Book Conservation.

It's a giant wealth of information, 250+ pages and some 46 technical
leaflets 11 of which are new in file binder form.

New leaflets include

    "Importance of Collection Policies",
    "Light Protection for Library & Archival Materials",
    "Storage Solutions for Oversize Paper Artifacts", and
    "The Implications of Digital Imaging for Preservation".

Both titles are available from good conservation suppliers in
America and from the offices of Conservation Resources in Virginia
and Oxford, England.

Mark G. Vine
Conservation Resources
England