Subject: Scagliola plaster

Scagliola plaster

From: Alex Warren <sinopia>
Date: Tuesday, October 3, 1995
I'm trying to formulate some type of recipe for Scagliola Plaster.
There is very little information on the subject and I was wondering
if anybody had any experience working with it. So far the only
recipes I've found call for a weak solution of natural glue that is
mixed in with the Scagliola until the mixture becomes the
consistency of bread dough. These loaves can then be applied over a
plaster of paris ground. Apparently the Scagliola sets up so hard
that it can ground numerous times to form a marble slab smoothness.
In fact it seems Scagliola was used in faux marble finishes. Anyway,
I was wondering if any of these bits of information are leading me
on the right path or if I am totally off?

Alex Warren
Sinopia Pigments & Materials
229 Valencia St.
San Francisco, CA 94103