Subject: Plastics storage

Plastics storage

From: Gillian Mitchell <u954294>
Date: Friday, September 29, 1995
In my posting last week (Cons DistList Instance: 9:28) concerning
plastic storage conditions I failed to make clear that I am looking
for general raw data for a very broad short assignment.

I would like to survey as many institutions as possible by
collecting  brief responses to the questions below.  I would like to
compare existing storage conditions for plastic objects with ideal
conditions.

appreciated.

    1.  Temperature range:                   RH range:

    2.  Light levels:

    3.  What steps have been taken to eliminate UV radiation?

    4.  What steps are taken to deal with the off gassing of
        plastics?

    5.  Are any steps taken to deal with loss of plasticiser?

    6.  Are objects heat sealed in  polyethylene film? If so why?

    8.  Are low temperature  and low oxygen environments used? If so
        how are they created?

    7.  Do any monitoring programs and safety procedures exist, for example
        when dealing with cellulose nitrate?

Please reply to me at: u954294 [at] student__canberra__edu__au. Thanking you
in advance,

Gillian Mitchell
Student in Conservation of Cultural Materials
University Of Canberra
Australia

                Distributed: Friday, September 29, 1995