Subject: Do-it-yourself conservation

Do-it-yourself conservation

From: Ivy Strickler <strickif>
Date: Tuesday, September 26, 1995
Recently on this list and others there have been some widely disparate
views expressed on the topic of "how much repair/conservation should be
attempted without the services of a conservator." As I look through my
library I find everything from "don't do anything" to "use epoxy and
regular silver polish." Do any of you have a recommendation of a book which
you feel gives a safe path for the knowledgeable amateur? Obviously, more
harm can be done than good through the use of unskilled labor and unsafe
materials, but perhaps there is something more that we can do besides
dusting and bagging up fragments. Any suggestions?

Ivy Fleck Strickler
Drexel University
Nesbitt College of Design Arts
Philadelphia, PA 19104