Subject: Marking photographs

Marking photographs

From: Daniel Clement <76616.2144>
Date: Monday, September 25, 1995
I am writing regarding Ron Stark's suggestion to affix Scotch #850
clear polyester tape to the versos of photographs in order to
facilitate labelling. Like Ron, I have not tested this tape, but
based on my experience in treating paper, I would not suggest
applying any pressure sensitive tape to paper.  I work with the
assumption that any pressure sensitive adhesive will eventually flow
into the paper.

As for the application of unspecified workable fixatives in order to
allow the use of pencil, there is a significant risk of
discoloration.

Dan Clement
Paper Conservator
Ithaca, New York

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 26, 1995